Prabowo picks Sandi as running mate
The Jakarta Post
The Gerindra Party, PAN and PKS decided to pair Gerindra leader Prabowo Subianto and Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno without the support of the Democratic Party.
“This is not an easy process. This process is tiring. I have tried to build a big coalition,” Prabowo told reporters at his residence in South Jakarta 11:30 p.m.
“Sandiaga is the best choice there is. He has made a sacrifice. He is willing to resign from his position as deputy governor so that he can serve the nation and the state.”
Prabowo practically ignored the reccommendation made by the anti-Ahok Islamist groups that he picked celebrity preacher Abdul Somad as his running mate.
As of 10:30 p.m., the Democratic Party said it still rejected Sandiaga’s candidacy. The party is left with the option of joining either the Prabowo or Jokowi camp. The Election Law bans political parties from sitting out the presidential election.
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Me and my (porn) shadow: 'Spycam' epidemic seizes South Korea
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Four earthquakes strike off Canada's west coast
- Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja stuns 'American Idol' judges
- Here comes Bui Squad: Palu inmates help earthquake, tsunami survivors
- Dark side of K-pop: The East Light leader claims years of abuse
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Meikarta project abides by spatial regulation: Minister
- Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics: NY Times